Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The Civil Wars - Poison and Wine



Favorite lyrics: I don't have a choice but I'd still choose you.

The Civil Wars have been getting a lot of recognition lately, and deservedly so. The thing that makes their music so likable, I think, is that it manages to break your heart and comfort you at the same time. They have a sound and chemistry that works flawlessly, a duo whose voices perfectly compliment each other. In Poison and Wine, especially, it's easy to see how well Joy Williams and John Paul White's voices blend, but both musicians have equally gorgeous voices on their own. Together, they combine into a story only they can tell. Just the chorus of this song makes me crave more; the eight little words in it ("I don't love you, but I always will") are sung with so much depth and harmonization, it's hard not to adore. This song sends off an instant connection between its story and the listener, a kind of deeply rooted emotional investment inside its notes. The lyrics are fantastic, but the passion in these musicians' execution is what makes them such incredible, stand-out artists.

Glitter Pox rating: 99% contagious

Hope you catch it,
The Glitter Pox

1 comment:

  1. I love these two. I saw them in Akron about a year ago, and they were amazing live. Their covers are also very creatively selected and arranged. Their guerilla marketing strategy is also a fantastic story.

    ReplyDelete