Saturday, July 16, 2011

Mudbison Interview

We featured 'Color T.V.' by Mudbison back in April, and luckily we were able to get in contact with the lead and now sole member, Spencer Russell, who's a fantastic musician. You can listen to Mudbison's album, A, here:

A by mudbison

To win a digital copy of this album, gifted from us through iTunes, as well as a digital album of your choice, just fill out the form below this interview. Contest will run through next Saturday, 7/23! *Contest has ended, and winner has been notified.

Check out our interview with Spencer Russell and let us know what you think!

Starting off, what's your favorite...
movie: The Royal Tenenbaums
book: Ender's Game
quote: "Men have become the tools of their tools." -Henry David Thoreau
concert you've been to: Octopus Project.

Listening to A is a mash of different music styles and melodies, whereas a lot of bands can fall into the rut of very similar, stylistic songs. How do you keep each of your songs separate and unique?
I follow the soul of the song. If it comes to me and has a certain feeling to it, I usually follow that feeling. Some people, though, love to write for genres. They're easy to sell, and people know what to expect. If I were to write for a genre, I couldn't call my music art... but I applaud the people who can maintain that perfect balance.

The Mailman Song seems to be about being able to see into other people's lives. If you could be any musician's 'mailman', and could get a glimpse into their music and lives, who would it be and why?
I would love to have a glimpse into Elliott Smith's life. He continues to blow my mind as I mature and experience the things he sings about. He's a modern day Mozart for me. His music is timeless.

What's your songwriting process like? What's one song you wish you had written?
I usually come up with a tune first. The lyric comes from a mixture of the feeling of the tune, and whatever I'm experiencing at that time in my life. I usually take quite a while to finish my lyrics. I wish I wrote "Color Bars" by Elliott Smith.

Can you pick one of your songs and tell us the inspiration/story behind it?
Time Machine is about regret. A guy I knew was secretly in love with his friend for 8 years and never told her. He moved to Florida when I was living there, and I can remember him worrying daily about her getting married without ever knowing he loved her. It was such a heartbreaking lesson to learn for him, but I thought it was a lesson for everybody in the world. Do the things you want to while you have the chance... life is worth the scary parts.

If a (Glitter) Pox epidemic were to break out, apocalypse-style, what would the title of your last song be?
Well from the sound of it, a glitter pox epidemic doesn't sound too deadly, but if my family and friends around me were coughing up glitter balls and dying of glitter asphyxiation, my last song would probably be called, "May The Last Man Burn My Body And My Album For The New World"

Thanks to Spencer Russell for being our first musician to interview here on The Glitter Pox!

4 comments:

  1. I love the question and answer about the Glitter Pox epidemic :) Super fun interview!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job with the interview guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome interview! I love his song name if the Glitter Pox epidemic were to break out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview :)
    Time Machine is my favorite song so far, so it's cool knowing what it's written about <3

    ReplyDelete